Non Prescription Medicine to AVOID
- Aspirin or related products such as Advil, Motrin, Alleve, ibuprofen and other related products,
especially during the third trimester. Occasional use is not harmful, but Tylenol is preferable.
- Stimulant laxatives such as Ex-lax, Dulcolax
- Avoid enemas
- Nicotine patches or gum
- Weight Loss products
- Megavitamins, especially high doses of Vitamins A or E. Note that cod liver oil capsules are very high in Vitamin A.
Advice on Skin Care During Pregnancy - from Marina's Oasis
- Avoid retinol or tretinoic acid containing products. These are related to Accutane which is well known to cause birth defects. Although these specific ingredients have not been linked to birth defects, caution is still advisable.
- Avoid topical salicylic acid (this is related to aspirin). This is often found in acne skin care treatments.
- Use a paraben-free physical sunscreen (containing Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide) on your face when outdoors to help prevent hormone-induced facial hyperpigmentation (mask of pregnany called melasma). This is available at Marina's Oasis, a Medi-spa located in our office.