Call the Doctor
CALL THE OFFICE RIGHT AWAY IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Severe or worsening pain anywhere, especially in the abdominal or the perineal areas
- Shaking chills or fever (temperature greater than 101 degrees)
- Frequency and/or burning with urination or any difficulty with urination
- Significant increase in vaginal bleeding, especially heavy, bright red bleeding
- Feeling faint, lightheaded, weak or dizzy
- Swelling, tenderness, or redness in either breast, or the episiotomy site
- Severe depression or severe anxiety with sleeplessness
- (If C/S): redness around the wound or drainage of any kind from it
POSTPARTUM THYROID PROBLEMS
Not all postpartum fatigue is due to sleep deprivation. About 5% of women can experience postpartum thyroiditis, an inflammation of the thyroid gland that can cause thyroid dysfunction. The thyroid gland regulates the body’s metabolism. Both underactive and overactive thyroid can cause serious problems and both conditions can occur with postpartum thyroid dysfunction
Underactive thyroid can cause fatigue, weakness, intolerance to cold, swelling, hair loss and weight gain.
Overactive thyroid can cause insomnia, palpitations, anxiety, intolerance to heat and weight loss.
If you experience more than 2-3 of any of these symptoms, please contact our office right away.
These conditions are easy to diagnose and easy to treat, but only if you let us know!